Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Aloha!

Mates, Hawaii is a place absolutely to visit!
I don't think I can really explain all the great feeling that I've had over there for those last 6 days, but I'll try anyway!
First of all, you must know that Hawaii is formed by 133 island, but only 6 of them are populated....now, my choice was OAHU, the main island (but not the biggest), where Honolulu is!
Before to come here I believed it was easy moving between islands but then I've pretty soon understod that I will never be in another island as Maui or Kauai: each island are at least 100 miles distance, thus the only way is to take a flight, but the cheapest (if booked in advance) is around 100 dollar round trip....not bad but I can't afford it now!
Anyway, the hostel that I've choose on internet waw Seaside Hawaiian Hostel....I don't think it was possible to find a better place! This hostel is just great, cool people, nice rooms, good points where to meet people, free internet, security lockers and equipment for snorkling free as well.....and lot of stuff more!
Anyway, less than one day I've met almost all the poeple in the hostel: Adam, an amazing australian guy (always ready to pick up girls...yeeeaa), Bratish from Malesya, just arrived for study here in Hawaii (good for him!), Nathal from Seattle, another pretty cool guy, Tim (a belgium guy expert in snowboard...what a fuck he was doing in Hawaii???!!), three amazing London girls (Giulia, Pamela and Davina), and so on with the Korean guy Inn (never get drunk before last nights), Crag and Greg, useful "tourist guide"....
Anyway, the first day I watched the Wolrd Cup games at 5am and 9am (fortunally Italy played at 9!) and of course I was so happy that Italy gain the semi-final that all day I wear the Italian soccer t-shirt (smiling all the time!!)
Every night the first target was "Dowg Dave", a sort of half club/bar, cool to meet people and dance (of course all the time I've been there I was soo drunk that I couldn't order any more drink....as in Italy, here is usual to drink in the hostel all together and save money,yea!)
Every night was quite strange because we never planned in advance what to do, just meet in the evening at hostel and then, after a couple of booze, decide what to do! One night I've been with Adam at Zanzabar, one of the most famous club in Waikiki...and even if you have to pay 10 box to get in I've really enjoyed the time spent over there, really good club! The last night I was looking for a latin place (since I've found other dancer in the hostel) but the place we were looking for went out of business years ago.. :-( That's beacuse the hostel is full of magazine, books, stuff to read about Oahu, but unfortunately they weren't all the time updated!

I think the best way to visit the island was asking to the people: that's how I discovered Manoa falls, Diamond Head, the Shark's cave for snorkling (free place in the north instead!)...and also if you're in Hawaii you absolutely need to visit Pearl Harbor and all the local shows with local dancer or people showing how to open a coconut! :-)
For my first time, I've also tried "body surf" with really bad results, and snorkeling, an amzing experience, I really enjoyed swimming surrounded by fishes and turtles...I've took some photos as well with a waterproof camera, as soon as I develop the film I will post some "sea photos"!

Pineapple and coconuts of course are the major fruits in the island, I've had some amazing cocktail during the night that hardly I will forget them!

One warning: if you're looking for local people and meet the culture, don't come in Waikiki or Oahu in general: all the island is full of American (60%) and Japanese (30%), thus even if I've tried local food (which means vietnameme, chinese, japanese, taiwan, etc...) I couldn't really meet local people!

Public transport work quite fine but I spent really too much time on the bus, each destination was too far away, I think rent a car is the best thing to do!

Yesterday I woke up quite early, Pamela and Davina's friend gave me a lift to the airport, where I've spent more than an hour in the Chinese Garden in the airport (really cool), then I took a Quantas flight to Sydney (finally this time I've had a normal check-in, nobody asked me a full body inspection, I was starting to get used to it!)....if I have to compare Quantas and American Airlines I think Quantas can easily win 10-0!!! For the first time I was in the flight and thinking that all the money spent for the ticket were well spend (with american airlines I felt like if I was travelling with Rayanair...come on, 5 hours and a half from Puerto Rico to Los Angeles without any meal...and same story from LA to Hawaii!)

Anyway, now I'm here in Australia, a fucking cold place: I was so sad when I'm arrived at 5pm and I've seen the sun already gone... :-(
All the previous destination were hot places (summer style) and now I need to get used again to this cold temperature for almost 2 weeks, shit!

Ok, I don't have a lot of warm clothes so let me go in some shopping center and buy some stuff, see ya guys!

Andrea

P.s: Perhaps now it's raining!! :-(

No comments: