Saturday, July 22, 2006

I love Japan!

Dear friends,
you should definitively visit this amazing country if you can, I have no words to describe how beautiful is Japan!
I spent here only 5 days, I`m arrived on tuesday and tomorrow, Sunday, I`m leaving for Hong Kong, and also, I`ve only visit Tokyo since I don`t have no more money to spend in trasportation (and here trains are really expensive!), BUT.... I love this city!
Let`s start from the beginning: the first day I arrived at 10pm, really late since I have had problem at the airport again (this time the problem was my credit card which didn`t work...), thus after have spent 1h looking for an ATM good for my card I finally took the shuttle bus to Asakusa Station....here I slept for the first 2 nights in a Ryokan, a tipical Japanese accomodation. Just stay there it was amazing: everything really traditional, house made 90% by wood, japanese bathroom and bedroom, etc...(too many japanese things hard to explain if you don`t see with your eyes!)
Even the people that I`ve met in the hostel were pretty cool, so the same night we went out looking for my first japanese food!
Anyway, in the following days I`ve visited almost all the main attractions of Tokyo (there are too many things to see, 5 days weren`t enough): Sensoji Temple in Asakusa, the oldest in Tokyo, and all the long street in front of it full of local shops. Then Odaiba, the new area of Tokyo, where there is the National of Emerging Science and Innovation, a place absolutely to visit for a Computer Science as me! Then Ginza, the main and centered place in Tokyo, rich of attractions as local markets, tipical japanese restaurant, the Kabukiza theatre (I couldn`t get in since there were no more tickets available, but it is a MUST SEE place for its tipical exibition), sony building, etc..
Then I went to Shibuya, another great place where to find the a sort of "Camden town" of Tokyo (in Takeshita dori), and another amazing temple, Meiji Jungu Shrine!
More, I went to Akihabara, where I visited the Electric City and another two temple (Kanda Myojin and Yushima Seido)...for me temple=curch since if I was in Italy it was just like visit all the curches, but of course here I`m more attracted since they looks new for me!
Of course there were many more things to visit but unfortunately there is no more time!

About the nightlife, the best place is Roppongi, where thanks to my friend Elisa I`ve found easily of of the best lounge bar in Tokyo: Heartland. Then I went with a canadian friend (Jeff) met in the hostel in a salsa club, SALSA CARIBE, too small but cool to dance for the first time with Japanese girls....wait a second, it wasn`t the first time since in Italy I danced many times with my friend Humi: I have to say THANKS 100 times to her since she was my main resource about Tokyo! She recommended all the tipical food to try (yoshinoya, onighiri, ramen shop, okonomiyaky...la pizza giapponese), she introduced my by mail to her brother Nao, another great person who show me other places in Asakusa, expecially other famous Japanese dishes! She also introduced me to Sonoko, a good friend of her from the school: with her I went to the electric city and her husband also invited me to his restaurant tonight!
In general I think all the japanese people are great, really friendly and always ready to help you, even if they don`t speak english (most of them): all the time you ask information, they can spend 10 minutes of their time (even if they`re working and they`re busy) trying to explain where to go or just try to find for you where to go, if they don`t know! Also, one night me and other people from the hostel went to drink a japanese beer (they have good beers!) in a random bar and the owner liked us so much to offer us first a jug of beer, then another, then a big bottle of sachi (that I still have in my room), then another jug....at the end, we came back in the ryokan all drunk, at 4am!

There is too many things more to say but there is no time and I don`t know where to start, this country was my first experience in Asia and thus everything surprise me.

Now I need to get ready for tonight, I have an italian birthday party (yes, in Tokyo!), Elisa have just invited me to join, let`s what happen...but before I`ve a free dinner in Kaoru`s restaurant, considered very expensive and chic!

Then tomorrow I will be in Hong Kong.....

Ciao ciao

P.s: Just to help you if you`re planning to visit Tokyo as well, let`s book in advance at Taito Ryokan, 2-1-4 Nishi-Asakusa, Taito-ku, Phone: +81 338432822. It cost 3000 yen, then if you wanna save money you can spend 2000 yen at this other place (ok but not really good to meet people): khaosan tokyo asakusa annex,2-2-5 higashi-komagata, sumida-ku.

No comments: