Saturday, July 29, 2006

China and Macau

Since a week in Hong Kong was really too much and since I can't change my flight for Thailand (weekend all the flights are full), I decided to apply for a China VISA and enter there for few days, just to say "Hey, I've been in China as well!"
Thus, last Thursday I left hong Kong by bus with Michelle and Ken, then we met later Stephany as well (Michelle's friends) and all together we explored Shenzhen, a Chinese city just up to Hong Kong! We passed a nice day: first, we visited the Lo Wu shopping mall, a place absolutely to see, full of shops selling all copy of major companies about clothes and shoes...It seems to be in Naples for many reasons...

The city itself doesn't has nothing interesting, but since we were together we have had fun anyway, first playing snooker (similar to pool) in a VIP room (here things are even more cheaper than Hong Kong), then dinner in a chain called "little sheep" (I've payed almost 10 euro but I was really really full, my god how much I ate!), and finally we went in a body massage centre, where for less than 12 euro I've had sauna, shower and two full hours of body massage!!!! That's life my friends!!

At the end of the night I left Michelle&co since they had to work next day; instead, I decided to spend one night there and then next day I take a train to Guangzhou, the main city in Canton! My expectation were really high for this city, when instead I didn't like at all and after have visited few attractions (nice the Chen Family Temple) I left forever this country, moving to another one never heard before: Macau!!

Yes, instead of coming back to Hong Kong, I took a bus to this small island, in the past a Portuguese colony and now independent (just like Vatican City or Montecarlo).

What I didn't like at all about China are the people, completely unfriendly, they don't socialize and they don't help me anytime: any of them speak a word of English, even if they look the map they couldn't help me to find the way (and I don't wanna explain how I found a map....here it doesn't exists the tourists information center!). China in general is really dirty, people still live in a old style life, made primarily by agricultural products...for few hours I was walking in a really poor and dangerous area (I didn't knew that!) and I've seen such really poor condition of live that I'm still trying to understand how China can be the third most powerfully country in the world!!!!
Transportation is the only thing which work fine, is pretty cheap but still the people cannot even read the "western Chinese" and so it was really too hard to find a place to visit..even more to find an accommodation and try to understand where the main centre was!!! But people are really poor so many of them use bicycle and motorbike old style, it was like jumping in the past, 20 years old for sure! People are used to hook all the time and drive in a similar Italian style, with the exception that in Italy we don't have people in bicycle riding in the other side of the road! I will try to send you some photos later just to try to better explain how bad the situation is here...

Don't forget this place is where few years ago the SARS started, so know I can understand why the virus expanded so much!

Anyway, now I'm in Macau, an island 60 km far from Hong Kong, waiting that rain will take a break in order to visit few attractions and then take a ferry to come back in Hong Kong! Stay here is better than China since I like to see all the signs in Portuguese...but still, most of the people are Chinese and they don't speak Portuguese, so I think they changed all the names in a Chinese version: that's why all the time I asked where "Plaza del senado" nobody knew where is was...FUCK, this is the name of one of the main plaza in Macau, how is possible that people working in local market and taxi driver don't know it??!!!!

1 comment:

Kenji Koyama said...

mmmmmh...i read ur blog n u were askin how china can b China can be the third most powerfully country in the world rite?? lolz...
i heard dis from my dad..from his theory i understand dat China is kinda similar wif India o Indonesia...when a citizenz r rich...dey'll get damn rich n dey spend lyk dey had everytin in dis world..n many ways dey vry*si yao lian* (die want face)..lolz..means dey k bout their personality vry much....dey can act as if they were very rich..but actually sum were jus ok rich...middle class rich...as for de poor citizen..dey were nt helped n been left out by de country...
in fact sum chinese dare to fight n do sumtin daring so some of thing so successful..n oso lots of taiwanese merchant went there n do business...co u noe lah..low labour n cheap things..lolz...
i nt sure u understand wat i said o nt..lolz..coz i afraid my english still very poor..lolz..

mcpooh