Friday, June 09, 2006

First days in Los Angeles

Dear friends,
after the splendid experience in Puerto Rico the next destination was Los Angeles, California. The first day I've found a nice wheatear, of course not so hot as Puerto Rico, just the perfect temperature for a spring season!
At the airport I've seen again Jackie, after two years from the last time we met in Rome: she came with her friend Jon Carl (that, for Italian people, his name is just Giancarlo, same pronunciation!), and then we went all together in sunset st., just for eat something (me and Jon Carl were starving).
Then we moved to my new temporarily house, Jackie’s house, really nice apartment in Downtown: I really enjoy the fact to have free gym, swimming pool and sauna any time I want…and in fact I’ve already used the sauna twice, but I’m still waiting for the pool, since the wheatear is not realy good yet (after the first sunny day all the other days were cloudy). Anyway, Downtown is a good place where to stay since is well connected with all the other main destinations and perhaps it has nice and interesting places to visit. Thus, my first days in LA were spent looking around Downtown: Financial District (nothing special), Jewelry district (good if you want to buy some gold…not for me), Fashion District (incredible place, everything here is sold in sholesale, you can really find good offers, it’s just like a big local market), Toy District (for children), Little Tokyo (I was expecting more from it) and Chinatown (just the same as any other Chinatown in the world!). I really enjoyed the main street in Downtown, Broadway, next to my apartment, since it’s quite busy and 80% of the people are Mexican or Latin in general, thus the main spoken language is Spanish, good for me since after Puerto Rico I really improved this language (perhaps I’m still in contact with Alexandra, and almost every day we spoke on MSN with webcam and microphone…in Spanish of course!!!). In those first days I’ve spend many times in front the PC, since I haven’t use it for all the puertorican period and thus now I was on late answering to the people and doing the daily stuff!

The first night in LA was Saturday, thus even if the night before I couldn’t sleep, it was normal going out and visit Hollywood! Jackie first bring me in a pub where there were local rock band on stage, then she called another friend which allow us to enter to an MTV after hour, really really good as my first night in California!!! 
I’m still waiting for really big party, but that one was good to start seeing the LA night life and to start having an idea about the people… maybe I will change idea in the next weeks but I think people here are really weird, different of course from the east coast, it’s a completely different system, I still need to get on it to really understand the people....we will see…
The day after my arrive I’ve also seen again Marina, my main California’s contact, a Russian girl met three years ago in Providence, Rhode Island! It was nice to have spent a dinner all together again, just like a couple of years ago when her and Jackie came in Rome for visit me!
Last night we went in a pub next to the apartment, just for a beer, and I was surprised to see how the bodyguard check if you’re 21 years old or not: they just swap your ID card into a machine which display your age (and maybe many other information…bye bye privacy!), a really innovative system...and of course he couldn’t swap my Italian driving license!!! 

Now I’m ready to explore other areas of LA, starting from the famous beaches of Santa Monica and Malibu’, for then visiting Hollywood and Beverly Hills (this time during the day, and not drunk as the first night, when I’ve spent hours reading all the VIP names written on the stars stamped on sunset street…..I didn’t know one, all unknown name for me except for Frank Sinatra!!), Pasadena and who know whatever else!! Also, next weekend we planned to visit San Diego (and thus I really hope to visit the Mexican border as well), then Las Vegas (just 2-3 hours driving from LA!).

I will let you know…

Take care

Andrea

P.s: let's see some photos...


No comments: