Friday, August 25, 2006

Koh Phi Phi & Co.

Finally I've got some spare time to update you about my amazing thai travel!

After have visited the great Koh Pha Ngan, me and Channa moved to Koh Samui, a not really exciting island but still good to stay for a couple of days! Here we visited a cool monkeys show in a private farmer, then we went with a motorbike in some great waterfalls (Namuang waterfall), amazing sicne it was possible to swim and dive on it, really great experience! Perhaps Davina and Pamela have had a 30min of Elephant trekking to the waterfall, but I haven't done it since I think in India it will be much more interesting!
The nightlife in Chaweng, teh main town in Koh Samui, it can be considered nice, but nothing if compared to Koh Pha Ngan, where you can dance every night on the beach, fuck, I really miss that place!
Anyway, if you're around this area let's start the night from "The great mambo", then after 2am follow the crowd to anotehr huge place 5 min walk!

Except for Chaweng, the only other interesting beach is in Lamai, but at the end is not a real place to visit...still, if you visit first Koh Pha Ngan everything looks bad, it's hard to find again such nice boungalow next to the beach and such great atmosphere!

The last night in Koh Samui was pretty cool: we started drinking at home, then we went to the first club, then to teh second one, of course all the time drinking those famous "buckets", a mix of rum or vodka, red bull and coke! Plans where to stay up till 6am, then take the motorbike (rent till 10am from the previous day) to visit another waterfall, for then finally come back at 9.30, time when my trip should start to leave to Koh Phi Phi.....and instead, at 6am Chanan was too drunk to keep a conversation, Davina throw up two/three times (one on my feet!) and Pamela was already passed out hours ago!
Thus, I've decided to sleep for 4 hours instead of 3.30: I mean, I didn't wake up on time and I've lost the local bus to arrive to the ferry! The only option was to call a taxi and try to arrive at the ferry before 11am! I was very lucky since I'm arrived on time but shit, I've spent another 500B for the taxi! Also, this was a real unlucky day sicne my plan was to arrive in Koh Phi Phi in the evening and instead I was forced to stay in Krabi, since the bus arrived too late to catch the last ferry! This town is nothign special, but everything is cheap and the people here are a sample of real Thai people (go to Crazy Pub and you won't see a tourist!)

Anyway, in Krabi I've found a new cool friend, Jamie from Australia, and a cool town where to stay at really cheap price, so I've decided to spend more days here and then go to Koh Phi Phi! The day after I went with Jamie to the "4 islands", which are 4 small islands around Krabi but all of them really interesting to visit: here I've took some of my best photos on the beach, if it is a sunny day you absolutely have to do it (and it cost only 300B for all day). You can first walk on the sea between two islands (but only in the morning, in the afternoon the sea level is too high to walk!), then you can snorkkeling (but be careful, I've smashed my right ancle to a rock and for all the next day I could't walk at all!) and visit a really "stupid" cave, but still good backgrounds!

Anyway, me and Jamie waited here in Krabi for Pamela and Davina (they always joined me one or two days later, in Bangkok, in Ko Samui and now here!), then all together went to Koh Phi Phi, and here we met again Channa in the evening (he decided to go back in Koh Pha Ngan for the half moon carnival, then I took a trip from there to Koh Phi Phi to spend some other days with us!)

Anyway, we finally arrived to KOH PHI PHI, considered to be one of teh best Asian attraction! We rent a room at "Phi Phi Don Chukit", but don't forget to call one day before to book a room, otehrwise you will pay 1000B instead of 500B! The numebr is (66) 75618126, but there are also cheaper accomodation, like Gypsi Guesthouse, for 350B, but more far from the centre!

I've spent only two nights in this island but I'm still regretting to haven't spent here more time...Pam and Davina forced us to see Railay, so we left the 3rd day but then they recognized that Phi Phi was much better and they came back the day after...and for me there was no more time to come back :-(

Anyway, the two days spent here were absolutely crazy! During the day maybe you can get bored after a couple of days, but the nightlife is jsut the same as Koh Pha Ngan, I still don't know which island is the best! Everynight drinking and dancing, meeting people (most of them from Ireland), but also some funny italian girls (one of them famous for me and Jamie since she was always singing "Shakira-Shakira"...) and stay up till late....one of those night I also get really scared watching two thai guy fighting with a gun! It was like a movie, all the people watching the scene from 50 meters, the police guys watching the stars or us instead on doing his job, and in the other side this thai guy pointing the gun on the other thai guy's head, really close to shoot him.....what a night! Anyway, at the end a third thai guy came and make the movie ending, since he convinced the guy with the gun to forget about it!
More, in those two nights we met many people: Jess from Ireland (really nice girl, she was explaing us how the island was before the Tsunami on 2004, sicne she was there!), Marie from Ireland as well (I've found her completely drunk on teh way, after we met before in the club, adn she was so drunk to don't remember where to sleep...so I've bring her in my room, sharing our bed with Jamie and Channa, all together) and Susy, the girl working for the guesthouse, an amazing example of thai beauty! Too much fun when the day after Marie woke up without remember anything, and still thinking why Jamie was sleeping next to her instead of me!!! (When I bring her home, she was too drunk so we left her sleeping and me, Channa and Jamie continued the party for another couple of hours, then when we came back Jamie felt down next to her and it was impossible to wake him up, so I left them sleeping together!).
If you're around this island, don't forget to visit Hippies Bar, but before there is another great pub easily to recognize since it has different level of dance floor (all openen).

Anyway, most of the fun is thanks to those amazing friends met during my world trip, so thanks to Pamela, Davina, Channa and Jamie! (But also don't forget the extraordinary power of the buckets...)

During the day I've passed another on my best moment of this world trip: we were in 5 so we booked for a whole day a long tail boat adn we started exploring the two islands of Phi Phi, deciding each time where to go and where to stop adn for how long...everything for only 400B (8 euro!), much better than buy a stardard tour trip! Anyway, during the day we went first to the National Park, where there is first an amazing bay where to stop for snorkelling and to dive from the boat, then we went in another side of the island, left the boat and we walked inside the island directed to the otehr side, where there was the amazing Ao maya beach, the same beach where Di Caprio mades the movie "The Beach"!!!! This beach was great, I've neved seen such white sands, really really cool! But also the path to arrive there was interesting and great, I think to have took 30min. only filming this part of the island! Then we continued the trip visiting other places and we did more snorkelling, but that beach will be impressed on my mind for long time!

Anyway, don't forget that 2 years ago the Tsunami passed here, and still now you can see how much damages it creates! Interesting to see but also very sad!

Anyway, without have slept too much, next day we have had our classic "sand-wiches" for 50B and then left to Railay, considered another good place to visit and explore! Unfortunately for me, I've been here for less than a day, thus I couldn't see at all the area, considered really interesting. But, it was good anyway to have spent the night here: we took a cheap accomodation on Ao Railay (east), at "Ya Ya resort" good place to stay if you don't want to take a dangerous path to Ao Ton Sai, where there are cheaper boungalow! (we tried to go there but after 10min walking on the ebach with my suitcase we changed idea!). Anyway, we went to Ao Ton Sai in the evening, with a free ride on a long tail boat, completely dark on teh boat by night, another cool experience! The boat left us in front of the party (of course on teh beach!), where there was latin music (I've danced salsa with Pamela on the beach), few but cool people (I've also played bonghi with the local band, I've got some photos!). We found a ball somewhere so we played on the ebach for a while, then we get bored and we came back, at 4am, completely dark, passing throw a rocky path on teh sea (+ a small cave), everything really cool but extremely dangerous (in 5 with only one torch)...my flip-flop of course where to trash after this path!

This was our last night all together since the day after Pamela and Davina left for Phi Phi, and me and the guys came back to Bangkok, after another long journey! Here I've spent again 2 days, believing to leave for India and instead now I'm in north Thailand for another week, waiting for an indian VISA! Last night I've took a bus to arrive here but after 2 hours we saw a huge cloud from the back of teh bus....engine overheaten!! We spent 1-2h helping the driver to top up water in the engine (our water!) before to leave again!

Ok, that's it, now in the next few days I'm going to cross the border with Burma or Laos in order to extend my VISA fo Thailand, I hope to be back safe!

See ya

No comments: